Luton airport battle to beat Wycombe

Luton continued their excellent begin to the season with a battling 2-0 make an impression on struggling Wycombe at Kenilworth Street.

The hosts required the lead through Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu after 59 minutes, before Elliot Lee made sure of the points within the closing stages.

The end result means Luton have nine factors from 12, while Wycombe taking all four of their matches so far.

A scrappy opening twenty minutes saw Town go nearest, Harry Cornick’s cross-shot tipped aside by ‘keeper Ryan Allsop, with all the attacker seeing a drive in the edge of the box blocked as well.

Matty Pearson nearly marked his 100th appearance for your Hatters with a goal, his downwards header from Luke Berry’s part not missing by much.

Centre-half partner and skipper Sonny Bradley went for the magnificent himself, setting his sights at the top corner from 30 yards yet arrowing wide.

Luton airport were then so close to relocating front on the stroke of half-time, as Mpanzu’s cross was raised to the back post, where Michael jordan Clark looped his header more than Allsop, but not Darius Charles, who had been on the line to clear.

Image: Pelly Ruddock-Mpanzu’s stunner put Luton ahead against Wycombe

After the period, Glen Rea sent a volley over the bar from a Berry set-piece, before the visitors eventually mustered several attacks of their own. Daryl Horgan’s try was blocked, while Joe Jacobson and Horgan sent efforts more than.

Luton then had taken the lead with a magnificent initial goal of the season for Mpanzu, as he took Cornick’s pass plus picked out the corner of the net through 22 yards, curling a beautiful energy beyond Allsop.

In the frantic second period, opportunities emerged and went at both finishes, James Collins volleying wildly away target for Luton before Sluga had to repel Anthony Stewart’s far-post header from a free-kick.

Berry thought he had a second whenever he was picked out by Cornick and fired goalwards, only to discover Allsop stick out a foot within the nick of time.

Jacobson sent a shot wide when provided too much room, before – in the other end – Collins has been denied by Curtis Thompson at risk from close range when this individual simply had to score.

Sluga parried Jack Grimmer’s energy away after the right-back overlapped nicely, before Cornick almost pounced with an error from Jacobson but Allsop came out to block with his hip and legs.

Wanderers thought that they had snatched an equaliser with 3 minutes to go, but substitute Scott Kashket’s goal was ruled out designed for offside.

Town lastly did finish their opponents away in the 89th minute, when Kazenga LuaLua fed fellow substitute Shelter and he side-footed into the bottom part to secure the points.

ONE MILLION LBS! Can you imagine?

You read correctly. Do not skip your chance to scoop £1m free of charge in this week’s Super 6 circular. Play for free, entries by 3pm Saturday.